A monthly round-up of industry news stories, useful publications, and notable cases of which you should be aware from the preceding month
Welcome to “Because You Need to Know,” XDD’s monthly news round-up. In these posts, we gather together interesting articles, noteworthy cases, new publications, and XDD materials from the preceding month. This post gathers items of interest from April 2019.
Industry News Stories
Interesting topics in the news from April include commentary on eDiscovery investment trends, emerging blockchain discovery issues, and growing concerns over cybersecurity and data breach class action suits:
- Blockchain Discovery Issues
- Growing Cybersecurity Concerns
New eDiscovery cases discussed in April include:
New industry publications released in April include:
XDD published one new blog article, one new practice guide, and one new educational webinar in April:
- Blog Articles
- Proportionality Update Series (ongoing):
- Practice Guide
- Processing Fundamentals – As ESI has become the norm in discovery, competence with technology has become an essential part of being an effective legal practitioner, and ESI processing for discovery is another of the areas in which legal practitioners need some knowledge to fulfill their duty of technology competence. Although it is often given short shrift compared to the steps that come before it (preservation and collection) and after it (ECA and review), effective processing is critical to the success of those downstream steps and includes a variety of important technical decisions that can have substantive effects. With both source types and average volumes increasing, it is more important than ever for practitioners to understand the realities of processing ESI for discovery. In this free Practice Guide, XDD Director of Education Matthew Verga, JD, reviews the fundamentals legal practitioners need to know about processing, including: essential steps and tools, common errors and special cases, de-NISTing and deduplication, content filtering options, and other steps.
- Educational Webinar
- Collection Fundamentals: Key Knowledge for Legal Practitioners – As ESI has become the norm in discovery, competence with technology has become an essential part of being an effective legal practitioner, and understanding the technology fundamentals of collection has become essential to fulfilling a lawyer’s duty of technology competence. With source types multiplying – including challenging sources like smartphones, social media, and Slack, it is more important than ever for legal practitioners of all types to familiarize themselves with the fundamentals of collection so that they can assist in spotting potential issues and identifying appropriate solutions. In this free, one-hour webinar, XDD Regional Director of Forensics and Consulting Collin Bentley reviews collection fundamentals all practitioners should know, including: the scope of collection, how data is stored and recovered, collection methods and the risks of self-collection, the importance of metadata preservation, and forensic soundness and chain of custody.
As always, we welcome your input regarding future topics for our webinars, articles, and white papers. Share your interests with us here.