A monthly round-up of industry news stories, useful publications, and notable cases of which you should be aware from the preceding month
Welcome to “Because You Need to Know,” XDD’s monthly news round-up. In these posts, we gather together interesting articles, noteworthy cases, new publications, and XDD materials from the preceding month. This post gathers items of interest from May 2020.
Industry News Stories
The news from May was still dominated primarily by stories of industry adaptation to COVID-19, but there were also noteworthy stories related to cybersecurity concerns, California regulations, and social media risks:
- Industry Adaptation to COVID-19
- California Regulatory Developments
New eDiscovery cases discussed in May include:
In May, XDD published one new blog article, a new podcast episode, and a new educational webinar:
- XDD’s First Chair Podcast
- Episode 09: Shannon Bales on Trial Presentation of ESI, Part 1 – Just as the transition from paper to electronic sources complicated the rest of discovery, so too has it complicated the presentation of evidence at trial. Today’s litigants must juggle multiple file formats, display hardware, specialized presentation software, and more. In this episode, Shannon Bales, Litigation Support at Munger, Tolles and Olson, discusses trial presentation of ESI. Part 1 of 2.
- Educational Webinar
- Clause of Action: Implementing Effective Contract Review Processes – Beyond traditional eDiscovery, there is another kind of highly-specialized electronic document review that must take place frequently and at volume: contract review. Contracts – particularly business-to-business contracts – can be long, complex agreements detailing numerous obligations and terms, and many businesses are engaged in large numbers of contracts. Reviewing such complex documents effectively and efficiently is challenging, as is ensuring consistent review and documentation across contracts and over time. In this free, one-hour webinar, XDD Managing Director of Consulting Services Liz Letak, Esq., provides guidance on effective contract review processes, including: tips and tricks for review, data management practices, available software tools, contract review statistics, and pitfalls and how to avoid them.
As always, we welcome your input regarding future topics for our webinars, articles, and white papers. Share your interests with us here.