A monthly round-up of industry news stories, useful publications, and notable cases of which you should be aware from the preceding month
Welcome to “Because You Need to Know,” XDD’s monthly news round-up. In these posts, we gather together interesting articles, noteworthy cases, new publications, and XDD materials from the preceding month. This post gathers items of interest from October 2018.
Industry News Stories
Interesting topics in the news from October include the FTC prioritizing Privacy Shield renewal, continued adoption of the lawyers’ duty of technical competence, and more GDPR news:
- FTC Prioritizing Privacy Shield Renewal
- Lawyers’ Duty of Technical Competence
New eDiscovery cases discussed in October include:
New industry publications released in October include:
XDD published six new blog articles, one new white paper, and one new educational webinar in October:
- Blog Articles
- Estimating Prevalence Series:
- Testing Classifiers Series:
- White Paper
- Still Crazy After All These Years: A TAR Case Law Survey – Despite all of the enthusiasm for TAR at its debut in 2011, TAR’s rate of adoption has remained slower than expected – in part due to continuing uncertainty and fear growing out of the many legal disputes over its use. From 2012’s da Silva Moore, to 2017’s Winfield, and beyond, numerous courts have wrestled with whether and when TAR is okay, if it can be required, what processes should be employed when it is used, and more. In this free, forty-page white paper, XDD Director of Education Matthew Verga, JD, surveys the key TAR cases, from 2012 to the present, to provide practitioners with the available guidance from the courts.
- Educational Webinar
- Solving Due Diligence Problems With eDiscovery Solutions – Due diligence is a common corporate task and one fraught with logistical challenges, time pressure, and cost sensitivity. Much like discovery, due diligence today is primarily about electronically-stored information, and much like discovery, it can be executed better, faster, and cheaper through using specific workflows, personnel, and technologies. In this free, one-hour program, ORG Managing Director Liz Letak, Esq., reviews several common due diligence challenges and how they can be overcome through the application of eDiscovery workflows, tools, and experts.
As always, we welcome your input regarding future topics for our webinars, articles, and white papers. Share your interests with us here.