A monthly round-up of industry news stories, useful publications, and notable cases of which you should be aware from the preceding month
Welcome to “Because You Need to Know,” XDD’s monthly news round-up. In these posts, we gather together interesting articles, noteworthy cases, new publications, and XDD materials from the preceding month. This post gathers items of interest from October 2019.
Industry News Stories
Interesting topics in the news from October include new roles for industry leaders, new data privacy developments, and reporting on the coming battles over deepfakes:
- New Roles for Industry Leaders
- Data Privacy Developments
New eDiscovery cases discussed in October include:
In October, XDD published five new blog articles, a new podcast episode, a new practice guide, and a new product demonstration webinar:
- Blog Articles
- Production Fundamentals Series (ongoing):
- XDD’s First Chair Podcast
- Episode 06: Mary Mack on eDiscovery Education – Each month, XDD’s First Chair podcast invites one or more guest experts to sit down with XDD Director of Education Matthew Verga, JD, for a 20-30 minute conversation about a single, important eDiscovery topic. In our sixth episode, outgoing ACEDS Executive Director Mary Mack discusses the history and evolution of eDiscovery education.
- Practice Guide
- In the Beginning: Identification and Preservation Fundamentals – ESI spoliation remains a frequent issue – particularly in the gray area where new devices, applications, or services are transitioning from niche adoption to mainstream use. Hence the importance of the identification and preservation phases in an eDiscovery effort: almost every other type of failure can be fixed with adequate time and money, but once unique, relevant ESI is gone, it’s gone. In this free, twenty-one page Practice Guide, XDD Director of Education Matthew Verga, JD, reviews the fundamentals practitioners need to know about identification and preservation to fulfill their duties of technology competence and preservation, including: triggers for the duty, legal and technological scope, imagination and investigation, the role of legal holds, and common pitfalls.
- Educational Webinar
- XDD Mobile Data Solution: QMobile – Due to its volume, diversity and output formats, mobile device data poses additional challenges to prepare what you’ve collected for review. XDD’s QMobile is an award-winning, proprietary software solution designed to alleviate those challenges. QMobile prepares collected mobile device data for easy loading into a review application like Relativity so that the mobile device materials can be reviewed alongside email and other documents as part of an integrated review effort. QMobile also includes custom Relativity dashboards and views to assist with the management, searching, and review of mobile device data within your document collection. In this free, one-hour web demo, Yaniv Schiff, XDD Director of Digital Forensics, provides a hands-on QMobile demonstration.
As always, we welcome your input regarding future topics for our webinars, articles, and white papers. Share your interests with us here.